Tuesday, November 1, 2011

As the king of story-telling fled across the desert, his avid readers followed....

One year.... My fiance and I have challenged ourselves to read the complete works of the master story-teller himself, Mr. Stephen King, in just one year. We are insane (or at least will be by the time we’re done with this challenge). It was not until a few months after we began collecting his books that Daniel suggested up this “little” dare. Fittingly so, it began with the book Firestarter, and it has not let up since.

As we browsed the used bookstore at our favorite local library, I saw three of his hardcover books on sale for the bargain price of fifty cents a piece (Sorry Mr. King, but times, they are a tough). I snatched them up as quick as my eager little hands could, warding other patrons away with the best “Cujo” snarl I could muster.

What I want out of this challenge, more than anything, is to be able to provide some type of entertaining and personal insight for other Stephen King fans. I suppose the articles following the books are also a type of catharsis, because when you read a Stephen King novel you’re never quite the same again, and any King fan will understand that....

Some of the books I have already read, but will re-read simply to make this challenge fair. Well, let me be completely honest with you, there is one book of his that I cannot bring myself to read again and I’ll tell you why later. For now, our collection is near completion and our journey into the mind of Stephen King has begun. God help us.

Note to reader: If anyone begins to sense that something has gone awry with our sanity, please feel free to bring it to our attention. One can never be too safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment